Florida CAM LicenseIf someone gets paid for providing CAM (Community Association Management) services, a license is required by law IF the association has more than 10 units or has a budget of $100,000 or more.

CAM Services include:

  • Practices requiring substantial specialized knowledge, judgment, and managerial skills when done for remuneration;
  • Controlling or disbursing funds of a community association;
  • Preparing budgets or other financial documents for a community association;
  • Assisting in the noticing or conduct of community association meetings; and
  • Coordinating maintenance for the residential development and other day-to-day services involved with the operation of a community association.

A person who performs clerical or ministerial functions under the direct supervision and control of a licensed manager or who is charged only with performing the maintenance of a community association and who does not assist in any of the management services described above is not required to be licensed.

Does a Board have to hire a CAM? No. The Board can do the work themselves, as long as they are not paid.

If you want to get a CAM License, the process is pretty straightforward.

1. Apply with the state via the DBPR (Department of Business and Professional Regulation).
2. Attend a certified educational course – 18 hours.
3. Complete an electronic fingerprint and background check process.
4. Pass the Test (75% or more correct answers).

Click here for more information.

by Dan Tiernan, COO, Campbell Property Management