Broward County issued Emergency Order 20-10 on Thursday, May 14, 2020, providing for a phased reopening of business activity, beginning on Monday, May 18, with restrictions in accordance with a modified Phase 1 of Governor Ron DeSantis’ statewide reopening plan. Broward’s beaches will remain closed.
The primary impact on community associations is on page 8:
Section 8. Community Rooms, Fitness Centers, and Gyms in Housing Developments
Community rooms, fitness centers, and gyms, to the extent such amenities are located withing multi-family housing developments or community associations, but excluding standalone commercial facilities, may operate provided all such operations (a) are consistent with the guidelines stated in Attachment 6; (b) comply with the CDC Guidelines and Broward County Emergency Order 20-07, as amended ; and (c) comply with he following capacity limitation: occupancy must not exceed (50%) maximum capacity.
Associations are not required to re-open these facilities.
Key limitations noted in Attachment 6 include:
- 50% capacity
- Residents only, no guests
- Machines, equipment and tables being used must be 6 feet apart
- No multi-player games (mahjong, poker, etc.,) allowed between people outside same household.
- Community rooms, fitness center, or gym must be “deep cleaned, disinfected and sanitized” before opening and daily after.
- Disinfecting wipes shall be provided by association and residents shall be required to wipe down each machine after each use.
- Hand sanitizer shall be provided by the association and patrons must be informed they must sanitize their hands upon entering the gym and prior to utilizing each piece of equipment
- Hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, and shower facilities shall remain closed.
To view the Broward County Emergency Order 20-10, please click here.
To learn more about the order and get your questions answered, join Campbell Property Management and Frank Weinberg Black for a brief, 30 minute webinar on Tuesday, May 19 at 12:00 PM. Click here to register!