This is the third post in a series of monthly posts called Manager’s Wisdom – a compilation of ideas and thoughts from Campbell’s best and most experienced managers on specific topics.
Today, we are sharing what our managers believe are the 5 keys to effective committees:
- Clear Purpose. Clearly define the scope and responsibility. Define the mission, what they are and are not responsible for and declare their goals to the community.
- Right People. Fill the committee with people that are qualified and try to appoint a Chairperson that is a good leader, communicator, consensus builder and meeting manager. Assigning a Board Liaison for each committee is always a good idea as well.
- Regular Schedule. Setup a regular schedule of meeting dates and times that is widely publicized so that owners can attend.
- Plan and Prepare. Treat meetings with the same level of care, planning and preparation as a board meeting.
- Recognition. Publicly acknowledge committees and members for a job well done.
For more information on committees, click here.
How does your community handle its committees? Let us know in the comment section below.
by Dan Tiernan, COO, Campbell Property Management